Prado del Rey
Human settlements here date back to the Neolithic period, as proven
by the abundant remains found in the surrounding AREA. A pre-Roman
village also existed at La Cabeza de Hortales, which was later
occupied by the Romans, who called it Iptuci, and Moslems. It was
destroyed by Alfonso VII"s troops in 1133.
The present-day town was founded by Charles III in 1768, as part of the repopulation plan for the south of Andalusia, hence its rectangular urban layout and perpendicular streets. Land was divided among 189 settlers from the Grazalema and Ronda sierras. In 1883, the municipal charter covering the New Towns was abolished and the land became the property of the colonists.