Chipiona

Chipiona

Share Bookmark Send to a friend
scroll left
  • Chipiona
  • Chipiona
  • Chipiona
  • Chipiona
  • Chipiona
  • Chipiona
scroll right

История

Avieno called it Geron Fortress (Fortaleza de Gerón), in reference to Gerion, the victorious leader of the Turdulans (ancient inhabitants of Andalusia). The town dates back to 140 B.C., when the Romans built a lighthouse called Coepionis Turris so that the ships sailing towards the River Guadalquivir would not run aground on the coast, the settlement that would later become Chipiona springing up around this landmark.

After Moslem occupation, it was conquered by Ferdinand III and later became part of the estate of Alonso Perez de Guzman, coming under the control of the House of Arcos in the 14th century.

The Lisbon earthquake of 1755 caused great damage to the town.

In the 19th century, following the example of the Duke and Duchess of Montpensier, the Andalusian aristocracy began to spend their summers here. Today it is an excellent tourist resort with long beaches of fine sand.